Sunday, August 16, 2009

hello, tooth fairy?

that loose tooth from july?
DSC_0003
well it finally came out!
DSC_0154
when i was little, i always put my tooth into a cut glass juice cup, then put it in the window so the tooth fairy could see my tooth and bring me some coins. i asked my grandma if she still had one of the juice cups that we could have for our tooth fairy cup. she said that they had all broken a few years ago. we went to the thrift store together and we were able to find the same style cup for 25 cents! how cool.
the story goes: you put your tooth into the beautiful cup, then put some water into it and set it in the window. the moonlight will shine down into the cup and reflect the white of the tooth out the cut glass like a beacon for the tooth fairy to find.
DSC_0156
this is the only time all summer Yah has been ready for bed before it is dark. and she even refused to finish the movie we were watching so she could go to bed before the tooth fairy came.
we all know that if you aren’t asleep by midnight, then the tooth fairy will have to come back on a different day. there are so many children around the world loosing teeth, if you are not ready for her, she does not have time to wait on you.
DSC_0160
when you are good and asleep, then she will come and leave a gold coin and an indeterminable amount of money in the cup. depending on the size, cleanliness and shine of the tooth of course.
DSC_0342
and we all know fairies leave behind glitter when they walk. you can see a fairy trail here where the tooth fairy was. sometimes, there is even glitter in the cup!
DSC_0343
what are your loose tooth and tooth fairy traditions?
thanks for reading…

5 comments:

  1. Too cute! We are boring and I wish I had an incredible story to tell but I don't. My husband's family grew up in a very strong Christian home and they never participated in the tooth fairy or Santa Clause. So it was very important to him that we didn't bring that into our home. I remember though the time I found out Santa wasn't real and it did break my heart... but I mean I also remember the thrill of thinking hew as real so it was hard for me to decide what we were going to do.

    We do Christmas and the kids get money under their pillow but it is all for fun at our house. THey know that they aren't real but they still enjoy the idea of the it being real. My husbands mother (who passed away in 1999) felt that Santa distracted the meaning of Christmas and we believe that it is the day Jesus was born so our gifts are in honor of Jesus our Savior and we celebrate His birthday. So that is our tradition... no glitter, no prancing reindeer... THanks for sharing yours though! I love the glitter idea... I should mention that one to my sisters... they have little girls that believe in the tooth fairy

    ReplyDelete
  2. YeeYah knows that the tooth fairy and santa are really mom and dad, but it is fun to have a story and pretend. she tries to make us think that she doesn't know, but i hear her telling her friends that mom and dad did...

    the idea of it being real makes it fun for her, even though she knows the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missing teeth grins are the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this idea! My six-year-old will soon have loose teeth, and I know he would just love the "glitter on the window sill".

    ReplyDelete

...your thoughts...